Friday 31 July 2015

IN THE JOURNAL OF MRS. THOMPSON (5)

27/04/1988

Dear Diary,

I am not really happy today. To start with, Aba has finally moved in and she is doing very well but I am not comfortable with what happened this morning. I came back from the dawn prayer meeting at church only to find Aba laying our matrimonial bed. I asked her where Kwesi was and she told me he was in the bathroom. Kwesi usually wakes up late and he always lays the bed even before he steps out of the room so how come he asked Aba to lay the bed today?

I have not been able to ask him because I don't want to start any unnecessary argument. What if he was getting late for work and that was why he asked Aba to lay the bed? But come to think of it, he could have waited for me to come and do so, right? Or is it because I'm pregnant? Diary, I have been thinking about this all day. Don't tell me to ask Kwesi, because I can't. You know he gets angry easily sometimes and I wouldn't want to fight with my love over this little issue. I need my peace of mind.
Well, I warned Aba never to enter our room again. This room is for my husband and I and it is my duty to keep the place clean. Aba has no business in my matrimonial bedroom.

I hope you don't think I'm jealous. I know my Kwesi is a bad boy but he has promised never to cheat on me. And I can bet with my head that Kwesi would never hurt me by having an affair with my blood, my half sister. I admit that he likes women, well every man does but he will never chase after my sister, never! That will be an abomination!

Oh, yes! I nearly forgot to tell you about my rebarbative in-law. True to her words, Auntie Naomi reported Kwesi and I to their Abusuapanyin (family head), who also summoned us. Auntie Naomi is a horrendous liar. She went to tell their head that I asked Kwesi to throw her out of the house because the house is for me and I called her "a good-for-nothing old witch". Diary, I wept badly when their family head told me this. How can I call her a witch?And even though the house we are living in is mine, I have never ever reminded Kwesi of that. Let alone his mother! I leave everything to God. I wanted to talk to my mom about it but Kwesi insists that it stays between us. I am not going to visit my in-law and apologise. If she thinks she's a witch, so be it. I never told her that in her face and God knows.

Kwesi and I have decided to go for dinner this evening. I want Aba to come along. I want her to feel free and talk to us about anything that worries her. She has been through a lot. I have to prepare.

Talk to you soon.xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment